Thursday 6 August 2015

ISS: July 23 by Maya Shahmoon

Today we started off early and drove up to an airforce base, Tel Nof, not far from Tel Aviv. When we arrived, a pilot who moved as a lone soldier from New Jersey spoke to us about how he got to where he is. It was amazing to hear how, with lots of dedication, he fulfilled his lifelong dream of being a pilot. He also taught us some life lessons such as learning how to turn disadvantages into advantages.


Once the soldier had to leave, we went outside for a short activity planned by us the Canadians. A combat soldier who is also a Diller alumni was with us all day and she taught us cool army moves that we incorporated into the activity. We learned how soldiers crawl on the ground with their rifles and how they get up quickly and we all got to try it. It looks really easy but it is actually extremely challenging.

After the activity we went back in for a short PowerPoint on some of the planes in the Air Force and then we went and actually saw some old ones. We even got to walk through a plane which was really cool! After seeing these planes, we went to another part of the base, this time to see and hear about pilotless planes. The control centre through which these planes are directed looked quite weird. It is just a computer with a mouse, keyboard and a headset. The only difference between it and my home computer is that I can't control a plane through mine... It's really incredible to see how advanced the IDF is.

Following this, we continued on to a more serious mood when we went to the base's memorial centre. It had the names of all those who died while serving in the Air Force for Israel. Then for lunch, we went to the cafeteria where the food was surprisingly good. I expected something out of a pack but I was glad to discover that it wasn't. After a nice lunch, we left Tel Nof and began the active part of our day, paintball!


We split into two groups. My group started off by doing an activity about the IDF's main values such as human life, discipline and comraderie. This activity showed us how much more there is to the IDF. They don't just fight but they also have a set code of values which every soldier is obligated to follow.

Finally, to end the day, my group went into the paintball round. I was terrified because it was my first time but at the end it turned out pretty well. I was hit a couple of times and I had paint all over my face and hair but overall it was a really good experience. In general, I don't think I could be happier with how the day turned out.



For me, as an Israeli who hopes to join the IDF one day, it was a really meaningful day. I learned a lot more about about how hard these soldiers work and how dedicated they are to protect Israel.

By Maya Shahmoon 

No comments:

Post a Comment