Saturday 3 January 2015

Negev Day and Closing Ceremony by Phil Dubrofsky


As we explored the ruins of Masada overlooking the Negev and the Dead Sea, it dawned on me how my experience in Diller has truly come full circle. As we were told the story of Masada by our peers, I wondered what the Jews at the times of the Romans would think about us visiting this beautiful, yet also tragic place, as well as what type of leaders we are.

While I was reflecting on the day, I realized that, in many ways, this day parallels my whole Diller experience. As we were on Masada and were asked questions about honour, dignity and religion, I found myself back during the first few weeks where I was unsure about the whole Diller experience. However, once again, the Israelis saved us and taught us how dying for what you believe in is the most honourable death and is partially why they believe so strongly in the state of Israel.


While the rest of the day was filled with laughs, mud, salt, floating, singing, sun and fun at the Dead Sea, the evening truly was my favourite part of an amazing day. When I was asked to give a speech at the closing ceremony/Israeli graduation from Diller, I was really humbled and honoured. I spoke a little bit about my personal experience in Diller, and I realized how proud I am to be part of this program and how fortunate I am to have spent a week with these wonderful people. Here is a clip of my speech that I think really shows what this trip means to me and what I took away from the past week.




No comments:

Post a Comment