Saturday 27 July 2013

Day 6: Meeting Be'er Sheva!

Today at 8:15 we met at the gates of Ben Gurion university of the Negev. To begin our day, we split into two groups, the Canadians, and the Israelis. Each group discussed their first night of home hospitality, something we all really enjoyed! Following our discussions, we had the amazing opportunity to get a full tour of the university and even see the mythical Helen Diller building. I  thought was cool to see how much charity this woman has given. As our day continued, we gathered to listen to an Israeli teacher who talked to us about the history of Be'er Sheva, among other interesting topics including a bayonet he found in his backyard. Being a history buff, I was highly interested in this part of the day.


After, we made our way to Tel Be'er Sheva for a scavenger hunt. Purple team won! But that activity was nothing compared to the cave crawling we did later on. I almost got stuck! Finally, we ended up at a kibbutz where we learnt about life on a kibbutz and had a well deserved swim! Personally, I really enjoyed this day because of its focus on history. I was really shocked by the amount of effort put in on the part of the day's activity group. We managed to accomplish so much in one day. And to be honest, I didn't realize how much there was to the city of Be'er Shave. Prior to this day, I honestly thought it was just done random city in the dessert. Now though, I realize how amazing of a city Be'er Sheva really is and that it can hold its own against cities like Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. Overall, this day was fantastic! I hope that the days to come are just as exciting and as intriguing as this one.

By: Maxwell Wiltzer

No comments:

Post a Comment